February 9, 2014

Zucchini Hummus

Green Juice Update: Since I tried green juice for the first time, I've since perfected the recipe. I realized that my problem was I used too many greens and not enough sweet stuff. Meaning, for the amount of leaves I had, I probably needed two more apples and a whole ton of lemon juice. So, the next time, I put all the leaves at the bottom of the blender (and probably used about half the amount from the first time), used more lemon juice, got rid of the ginger, and voila! The result was actually kind of tasty!

Looks delicious, right?? XD
Anyways, I was looking up some recipes from one of my favorite food blogs, The Detoxinista, and came across her recipe for raw hummus - one that doesn't use beans, but zucchini. Needless to say, I was intrigued, so I decided to try it out for myself.

The Recipe (straight from her website):
  • 1 cup diced zucchini (peel if you like)
  • 1/3 cup raw tahini
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
(Blend all of the above in a mini-food processor, put in a small dish, and place in the fridge until chilled.)

I didn't have enough garlic and I didn't have enough lemon juice, but I went ahead and tried it out.

1 cup of diced zucchini
I had no idea what tahini looked like - kind of like peanut butter!
All the ingredients in the blender
The finished product!
Now, just because it's "healthy", or "raw", does not mean that this is lacking in calories. The tahini alone makes what's in that bowl pictured above over 1,000 calories. So, I just spooned two tablespoons of it into my bowl (~200 calories) and ate it with some cucumbers. I guess this stuff is gonna last a while!

I'm not gonna lie - it wasn't my favorite taste. It tasted kind of bitter, but with no real distinct taste...? It's hard to describe, I guess. I'll try anything once!

Any recent cooking adventures of your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment