July 27, 2013

A Cider-Fueled Worm Run



I did it - I did a morning run.

My plans changed - AGAIN. No judging. It got to be around 5:00 yesterday, and I was thinking, you know what? Rather than try and get in the run on a Friday afternoon, why don't I just put it back a couple more hours than I usually do and start getting into the habit of morning runs? So that's exactly what I did.

Last night, we went to a going-away party of two of our good friends. They're moving to Las Vegas for school, and this was their last weekend in Seattle, so we celebrated with them at a place called Von Trapp's. It was a lot of fun- they had Bocce ball, which I had never played before!

Bocce Ball courts!
So many people came to see them off that it ended up being quite the party. I had 44oz of cider (that's about 1.3 liters...) at Von Trapp's, and then we all went to Manhattan's and had a tequila shot. Wooo!

MONSTROUS tequila shot.
We got home at 1 and I still woke up at 6:30am so I could finally start morning runs. I RULE.

I call this a worm-run.
Great weather - 58 degrees! It felt amazing! I started out the run decidedly slow. I would NOT let fast starts be a habit with me! Of course, since I was tired, it worked. I felt like I was running around a 10 min/mile pace, but in reality it was only about 9'40''!

I was SO CLOSE to that elusive negative split! I cannot BELIEVE how fast I was going. This is really new to me - as I said before, I'm usually always in the nines. But since I had a nice warm up, didn't feel too much pressure since it was early, and wasn't expecting much, I ended up just running to RUN and it felt amazing. I am so proud of myself!!
Apparently this is my favorite running shirt now? I promise I wash it all the time.
I'm really happy that Mile 1 was my slowest - even Mile 5, where I faltered a bit, was still faster than Mile 2. Consistency is key! And, I am MOST proud that my last mile was my fastest. I felt like I was flying! I resisted the urge to make effort-noises in the last few seconds - it was so hard! But worth it :)

I drove home, took a shower, put on my compression socks, and went to sleep for another 2 hours. It was the best sleep I've had in weeks! I woke up again at 10:30 and felt ready to start my weekend. Morning runs are the best!

Do you ever make noise while you run?

To those of you who have thanked me on our engagement, THANK YOU! I will make an engagement post very soon - the ring is getting re-sized and appraised right now, so I want to take more close up pictures of it before I post anything about it :)

1 comment:

  1. I love bocce ball! I have never seen indoor courts before!

    Those negative splits are beeeeeautiful! Also, way to go getting up that early for a run! You are a beast!

    I am usually a pretty quiet runner, but sometimes I will sing whatever I am listening to. Oh well, people get a show! Hahah