August 31, 2013

The Day I Ran More Than a Half Marathon... For a Training Run

I can't believe I did it, but I did. I ran more than I've ever run before in one fell swoop this morning. I ran 14 miles - that's .9 miles more than a half marathon. It really honestly blows my mind!!

I ate Fage Greek Yogurt and Belvita before my run, to fuel me.

I listened to Harry Potter again while I ran, but this time kept my mind on not letting my pace drop while I listened. I succeeded somewhat, no negative splits, but the last mile was still the fastest and I kept an average of 9'38", which I'd say is pretty successful!




It was hard. I'm not going to sugar coat it and say I felt amazing or that I had a runner's high. I didn't. It was really, really hard. Breaking in my new shoes is proving to be more difficult than I had originally anticipated, and my feet are hurting because of it. My arches feel foreign (I never knew I had such high arches... now I couldn't be more aware of them!), and my ankles feel like I imagine an old woman's must feel at the end of the run.

It's getting easier to push at the end - you can see that the last three miles were progressively faster, and I think that it's because I knew it was almost over, I felt that I had the energy to push.


I had some of these Energy Chews to fuel me during my run, but I tried a different flavor - fruit punch! It was tasty. I think I definitely like these more than my Clif Shot Bloks.

I'm glad I did it, but my mind isn't lingering on that victory very long - all I can think about is 16 miles next Saturday. Ack!

No comments:

Post a Comment