August 1, 2013

A Reluctant, 5 Mile Monster Run

Wednesday was a pretty bad day, y'all. I set my alarm for 5:45 this morning and couldn't stop hitting the snooze button. I don't know what happened! I felt like such a bum. I didn't get out of bed until 9, and even then I didn't go run. My mind kept saying, "The weather is perfect! It's cool and breezy and cloudy - awesome running conditions!" But my body said noooo.

I'm a nerd. Source.
I'm super busy throughout the week now. I'm a counselor for an after-care camp at a local studio here, so I'm gone for 5 hours every weekday until August 15th. Plus, next week I start rehearsals for the musical I got in (yay!), so I'll be gone for 3 hours almost every weekday, and 4 hours on Sundays. I'm also trying to plan a wedding! Ack! And, y'know, my normal full-time job is also packed in there somewhere. I miiiight just have too much on my plate.

On Wednesday, I didn't run, went to camp, and came home exhausted. Coming up with games to play for humans who have only been alive for a decade is much, much harder than one might expect. I still hadn't run. I canceled plans with a friend. I started responding to a message that would take me hours to write. I ate some week-old peanuts from our flight back from NYC.

I promise it's occured to me to take my own pictures. I know I'll start sometime. Source.
My fiancé (still so weird to call him that!) came home and I collapsed in a little puddle of helplessness. He suggested I go run, because it always makes me feel better. Awh. He's a keeper.

So, I reluctantly went outside, holding my water bottle instead of wearing my belt (just to try it out), having no idea where I wanted to run, and started my 5 miles.

Reluctance, peppered with determination.

I'm gonna be honest. I have no clue what this is. Can we just call it a two-headed monster on it's side? See the hands curled up?
I ran mostly in the parking lots, which was new - but it gave me enough variation that I didn't get bored too easily. Holding the water bottle wasn't too bad once I drank more than half of it - before that, the bottle was uncomfortably cold, so I had to keep switching hands. It wasn't too bad, though. Eating 140 calories of peanuts wasn't the best fuel, but it did its job.

I'm just going to have to get used to that second-to-last mile being the most frustrating.

I take a sweaty picture by a plant on a sidewalk, because you know, that's normal.
Ultimately, I was happy that I ran. Did a feel better? A little - the shower afterwards helped. I also think these compression socks are to me what those hug coats are for dogs. They're comforting, in a way. (If you haven't noticed, I'm a dog person.)

Here's a good picture of puppies meeting, that I did take myself. The poodle is my family's- the cockapoo is our friend's. So cute!!
I'm ready to start a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment