July 8, 2013

First Marathon Training Run!

Finished my first official run of my marathon training this afternoon!

Fueling before the run:

  • 1 cup Fage 0% Greek Yogurt
  • 4 Belvita Breakfast Biscuits
  • 40g pitted prunes (about 4 prunes)
  • 1 Banana
Not pictured: Starbucks Venti Dark Roast, with Lucerne Sugar Free French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (about 5 tbsp).

I think the coffee was a bad idea – for one thing, I haven’t drank it in a little over a week, let alone have that much creamer. Usually I use only 2 tbsp, but because it was a venti and I was down to the bottom of the bottle, I decided it was a good idea to use all of it. NOPE. Just as I was getting ready to run, my stomach started gargling and I had to delay until I felt better. I also could have done without the banana or the prunes, not both – with the Belvita, it’s just too many carbs. My eyes were a little bigger than my stomach this morning. But that’s what this is about – trial and error!

Another mistake – I didn't have any water this morning. BIG no-no. I definitely need to remember to hydrate!
Ready to run!
My gear:

Sunglasses: I was trying out these Pugs Sunglasses and I decided that I absolutely love them. They're tight enough against my temple to not slide down the bridge of my nose, but not so tight that they give me a headache.

Arm Band: Rocketfish Mobile - Arm Band with Molded Case. I need to find a new case - I have tiny arms, and I'm always afraid it's going to slide down my arm.

Tank Top: 4Paix. I typically tend to favor cotton when I'm running.

Sports Bras: Yeah, I have to wear 2. That's a whoooole other post topic. I'm wearing a Champion Style N9500 compression bra (purple) underneath a Wacoal Sport Underwire Encapsulation bra (black), which seems to work pretty well. I need to find a new sports bra, though.


Pants: Reversible Champion Fitted Pant, no longer on their website - I'm sure I purchased it YEARS ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant for yoga instead of running, but they're great running pants!

Socks: Fitsok CF2, lime green. I love these socks!

Shoes: Nike AirPegasus+ 29

These babies have about 220 miles on them!

This afternoon it was a BEAUTIFUL 65 degrees with a slight breeze. PERFECT running weather, so I was determined to run outside. (If I wait too long, I usually feel like I have to run on the treadmill). I didn’t want to run where I normally run – a small half-mile loop in the park – so I decided to just start running and see where I could go without being stopped by a light.
Where I usually run - 6 times around is 3 miles.

I decided to run towards the park but go right past it, and see where my legs carried me. I knew there was one long road that ran along Meydenbauer Bay (the area of water pictured) and sure enough, I found myself running along and getting wonderful views of the bay.




I really surprised myself with a 08:27 pace that first mile – usually I’m more of a 09:30 pace. Elevation (according to Nike) changed from 128 ft to 18 ft, and those downhills really helped. It definitely gave me a boost of confidence.

Even better surprise – about 14 seconds faster! At a 08:13 pace, I knew I couldn’t keep that up through the end, because I knew I had for all the downhills I was cruising on, I would eventually have to run uphill. I was mentally prepared for it, though. At the halfway mark, after watching police pull a car over (for some reason I love witnessing that), I turned around to head back.  




I was ready for this change – at 09:41, this is my typical pace. There was a killer hill at 2.5 miles that I had to stop to walk up, since I wasn’t going any faster running, and another slope uphill from 2.6-2.8 miles. Plus I had tired myself out from running so fast at the beginning that I knew I was bound to slow down at some point.

Total time: 26:31 at 8’41’’ average pace

After my run! Hook 'em!
Overall, I’m very happy with my first run! Of course I’m a little disappointed that I couldn’t keep up my pace for the third mile, but because it was a new course and because I started out way too fast, it was inevitable. One of my goals for this training, in addition to simply mileage, is to always finish my runs strong. Gotta start early!

No comments:

Post a Comment